Listen to this post
Enjoy The Festive Food Without Going Overboard
Enjoying Thanksgiving with family, friends and yummy food doesn’t have to set your health and fitness back. The average American will consume about 2,500 calories at Thanksgiving dinner. What’s the best way to enjoy the festive food without going overboard? Here are several tips, but don’t forget that the bottom line is to enjoy the day with family and friends.
- Wake up early and go for a walk, run, hike or bike ride. Moving your body early in the day will help you build better habits for the rest of the day and potentially curb your enthusiasm to overeat. Plus you’ll feel better for moving your body and have more positive energy.
- Sign up for a Turkey trot. In almost every city or township there are Turkey trots that benefit the local communities. Scheduling this is a great way for you to stay committed and not blow off the movement prescription for the day.
- Eat a meal or two earlier in the day. Don’t starve yourself to fill up on food later. Have a meal or two earlier in the day so you know you won’t overeat later.
- Don’t overdo it on the sides. Have a little bit of everything to satisfy your taste, because packing up on the sides will send your waistline over beltline.
- Drink water. Drink water during the day to stay hydrated. Dehydration can lead to overeating by sparking hunger pangs and/or poor digestion.
- Use a smaller plate. Using smaller plates helps to balance your portion control. If you’re at someone else’s home find the smallest plates or fill the plate with more turkey than sides.
- Skip seconds. Save some food because leftovers are better than seconds. If you’re done before everyone else, then drink water or sip on a glass of wine or your favorite adult beverage.
At the end of the day, Thanksgiving should be enjoyed with loved ones. Don’t stress about enjoying some good food just do it in a healthy and fit way!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
Your health and fitness coach,
PODCAST ALERT: Considered one of the best boxers of all time, SUGAR RAY LEONARD and I have a great conversation about his career, what keeps him healthy, fit, and so much more. Look up I AM Healthy & Fit wherever you listen to a podcast this Wednesday.