Do you love chocolate as much as I do? Chances are, you said yet. We are not alone. Over 4.5 million tons of cocoa beans are consumed annually around the globe. According to historical data, cocoa was thought to have first been used by the Maya civilization of Central America. During the 16th century, cocoa was introduced to Europe by Spanish conquerors and quickly became popular as a health-promoting medicine.
Modern science and research have revealed that cocoa does indeed contain important compounds that can benefit your health and fitness benefits.
5 Health and Fitness Benefits of Cocoa Powder
- Rich In Polyphenols: Polyphenols are naturally occurring antioxidants found in foods like fruits, vegetables, teas, wine, and chocolate. They have been linked to numerous health benefits, including reduced inflammation, better blood flow, lower blood pressure, and improved cholesterol.
- Improves Mood: Cocoa may exert some positive effects on mood and symptoms of depression by reducing stress levels and improving calmness, contentment, and overall psychological well-being. However, more research is needed.
- Weight Control: Cocoa products are associated with a lower weight, and the addition of cocoa to your diet may help achieve faster weight loss. However, more research is needed on this topic to determine exactly what type and how much cocoa is ideal.
- Building A Stronger Immune System: The antioxidants found in cocoa can boost the immune system. Cocoa contains a number of important vitamins & minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, potassium, B-complex vitamins and iron.
- Cancer Prevention: The flavanols in cocoa have been shown to have promising anti-cancer properties in test-tube and animal studies, so there could be a benefit in humans.
Your health & fitness coach,