Listen to this post
Raise Your Standards
This week I made some major and radical changes that occurred to me, in a positive way. Let me explain how and why because I know my story will help you make a radical change in your life if you’re also ready to Raise Your Standards.
I have been procrastinating for over the past year or more on completing a book that I’ve invested both time and money into. This book project has been supported by a very well known book agent at WME, one of the largest talent and book agency in the world.
A few months ago I even felt guilty and had to email my agent to apologize for my lack of focus and effort in completing the proposal which is almost done. In response, he said to me, “When you finish the book it’s going to be spectacular.” The perfect response for me to feel supported and encouraged when I was feeling stagnant. After this, I should have been pounding away on the keyboard. Right?! NOPE! Once again I fell into the trap of prioritizing things in my life that were important but were not getting me to achieve my next level of greatness.
So why was I doing this?
What was holding me back? How could I just let an opportunity like this fade away? These questions were running through my mind over and over, but still, to no avail, I found myself in the same place of procrastination.
However, this past week I made a decision to stop tolerating my lack of focus and procrastination in writing my book. The first step for success is to dream BIG!! This is nothing new in human development or self-help courses around the world. But dreaming isn’t going to get the book done or help you reach your goals.
You see any time you want to make a change permanent, the first thing you must do is Raise Your Standards. In other words, Raising Your Standards means simply what you demand of yourself and what your not willing to accept or tolerate. So I wrote down all the things I would no longer accept in my life, all the things I would no longer tolerate and all the great outcomes I wanted to achieve from writing this book.
At the end of the exercise, I felt crystal clear, passionate and inspired once and for all to complete my book. So I took massive action and sat at my computer and began writing content that I know will change the health and fitness of the people reading my book. It was as simple as that!
“But what did you really do?” What I did was Raised My Standards and these questions helped get me to that point. I was sick and tired of procrastinating and making excuses for it. I was ashamed and felt like a hypocrite. If I am asking my client’s to step up and take charge of their lives when I wasn’t doing that for myself. Then it became clear with the outcomes other than just completing and publishing a book. The goal of inspiring millions of people lives in the area of health and fitness had a positive affect.
When you really want to make a permanent and lasting change in ANY area of your life is to do the following:
Write down the things in your life that you no longer accept. For example,
- I won’t accept procrastination
- I won’t accept feeling inadequate or not worthy
- I won’t accept stressing out
- I won’t accept not exercising at least 5x a week
Write down all the things in your life that you no longer are willing to tolerate. For example,
- I am not willing to tolerate people who are backstabbers
- I am not willing to tolerate racism
- I am not willing to tolerate people who lack the ability to communicate authentically
- I am not willing to tolerate people in my life who are not supportive
Write down all the things you want to achieve for any goal you desire. For example,
- I am going to finish writing my book because I will be able to help fight the battle of poor health and fitness in this country
- I am going to have an NY Times best selling book so I can have a greater impact
- I am going to speak in front of audiences numbering in the thousands so I can spread my message of health and fitness
- I am going to create an opportunity to have my own TV show
If you take this exercise seriously and you follow through you can have the same radical changes that I did this week in working towards achieving your goals.
I also suggest:
- Find a quiet space, clear your head of any negative or disempowering thoughts through breathe work. Breathe in 3 seconds, hold for 5 seconds and exhale for 3 seconds. Repeat 3x
- Take out a blank piece of paper and write down your answers
- Keep it somewhere that you access easily so you can remind yourself when you want to go back to your old habits
- Add to your original answers. The first time you do this you might be inhibited until you really start to live in this new standard.
Enjoy the process and live life at the top!
Yours in health and fitness,
Thank you for reading and visiting my site Trainer To The Stars! Please share with your family, friends, neighbors or co-workers if you’ve learned or felt this blog was motivating, inspiring or educational. Your shares and comments will help get the positive message out so together we can help the world shine bright and bolder! You can learn more about my career and accomplishments at SteveJordan.com.